Friday, August 05, 2005

Knitting for fun and/or profit

I am often asked "do you sell your knitting", or more specifically "do you sell your hand knit socks". Yea right, there's a whole line of people who are willing to fork out a small fortune for a pair of hand knit socks. I always want to smile and say "You know if I charged $35 a sock, it would be a bargain for the amount of hours I have invested", but I don't. I smile sweetly and offer to teach the question asker to knit. No, I don't sell my knitted goods. Every week I knit a hat for the hospital nursery, otherwise on my needles are things for my family or gifts for friends/family. If I am paid to do this it becomes a poorly paying job and takes the fun out of knitting. I don't know how others feel about this, maybe they knit faster than me, or have more time. But me? I think I'll stick to what I enjoy.

No comments: